Skip to main content

This Morning






“But they’ll say, ‘Why should we? What’s the point? We’ll just live the way we’ve always lived, doom or no doom.’”
Jeremiah 18:12 (The Message)


For some reason this passage struck a chord with me. I couldn’t help but feel the passivity in the message it spoke….., what’s the point of living according to God’s standards? Time passes as it always does, we grow old, then die…., just like everyone else. Why should we expend energy believing in a God we can’t see, that requires an inexhaustible supply of trust and faith to believe in? These questions seem so logical if I’m looking at what’s right in front of me. If I’m letting the right here and right now be the determiner of my actions and the influence of my thought life. This passage bespeaks of a “grasp what you can now” mentality that holds no hope of a future beyond what this earth holds in our clay bodies.
Is that really how I want to live?
Is that how I am living?
In some respects I can see a picture of myself in this scripture. I haven’t even meant to live passively and yet I find myself living to survive, each day just wondering if there’s “something else” out there for Dustin and I. Waiting for something to change. Wanting life to mean more than what I feel like it means right now. I realized that since Edy died I have been slowly giving up on myself and it’s an everyday battle to pursue the things that I know will mean health and joy for me. Eating right, exercising, pursuing the Word of God on a regular, if not daily, basis.  Learning to love this life, even though my Edy isn’t here to share it with me. I don’t want to forget the beautiful things that are in my life, the beautiful people. Dustin. I don’t want to forget that you, Lord,  have given me an amazing friend to share this life with and what an answer to prayer he is. 
Lord, I don’t want to fall into forgetfulness and passivity when it comes to loving you and being loved by you. I want my life to reflect the joy it is to be your daughter. I want to know that this isn’t it. That this isn’t all there is for Mariam Joy Mahler. I don’t want to feel cursed anymore. I want to live in hope. I don’t want to feel dead inside anymore.
Often I feel like David. I have my days that are full of complaints and sorrows, where all I seem to be able to say to the Lord is, "Why me? Don't you see that I'm miserable here?" but piggy-backing those awful moments are the truly joyful reminders that my life is blessed. I look at my husband sleeping next to me and I am in awe that I get to share my life with this man. Everyday, I get to hold his hand and call him "friend" and "lover". I take a moment to breathe in the smiles and the hugs of the friends God has surrounded me with, and I remember that I'm not alone. This is the balm to the gaping wound of sorrow surrounding my heart. Life is not all loss. Life is not all suffering. A friend of mine recently shared with me something God showed her about Grace, and how there is no comparing of trials in God's world. 

I was reading a lot about the suffering church in places like China, and North Korea, and how much they have suffered for Jesus, and I started comparing myself to them..... and then I saw this picture of Grace. And how, no matter what we go through, God always gives us enough grace. So, whether you are facing torture or a pulled back muscle, the trial isn't what we should measure, but His Grace. And that makes us equal. Does that make sense? I drew a picture of it but I don't know if I'm accurately describing it with just words. In the picture, I saw a glass filled with whatever the trial was, and His Grace was like the water that was poured over it, and it always filled the cup so that the trial was covered by the water.

It reminds me that God's grace is my measuring stick....., not my own opinions or my perception of others opinions. God's grace is what is spreading it's arms around Dustin and I when we are missing our little girl, and hoping for the next child. It's God's grace that is assuring me that our lives are more than the minutes spent in breathing in and breathing out. My life has worth and value because I am His clay to mold, His precious child to love, His dear daughter to cherish.
I will not live a passive life because my Father's purpose for me is far from passive existence.

Oh Jesus,
This isn’t my life
Not mine alone
You’ve given me those to love
And those to love me
There is more than hope in this room
There is more than joy in this heart
There is life eternal
Resting in the very nature of God Himself
There is love eternal
Resting in the very heart of God Himself
I am part of His story
As He is the whole of mine.

I just wanted to share this song......., it was what I needed this morning....., along with my two shots of espresso. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whence Comes Spring

No. It's not spring, we are still in the midst of summer and what a summer it has be en. The weather has actually continued to be sunny and mild (thank you Lord!) and trips to the pool have been at a maximum. I've gained new freckles along with new perspective and my world seems the brighter for it. Each day brings a unique experience, I know I'm not alone in this revelation, it's called "life". There is a beauty to experiencing hardship and loss in that your own personal world slows down to a snails pace and your eyes are open to the simple things that make up everyday. I am reminded to slow down and breathe, to lay back and let my Father do the work of orchestrating my life. I can't see my future, but He has each step laid out before me, and He has done this because He loves me. "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will

Today

Today I took on the task of cleaning what was supposed to be my Edy's room. But my Edy isn't here to fill up this room with her presence. This is a little more heart breaking than I thought it would be. That's the not so funny thing about grief. It's sneaky and it lies in wait like the proverbial prankster ready to leap from behind a hidden corner and shout, "Boo!" giving me, the griever, a bit of a shock. I sat in a chair and looked at this room and remembered how much Dustin hated painting it. That's how much he loves me and how much he loves his daughter. He was willing to paint this room whatever color I wanted so Edy could have a beautiful room to grow in. There are alot of dreams that I am sorrowing the loss of. Dreams where I would get to hold my little girl, feed her, cuddle her, get exhausted by her, watch her smile for the first time, watch her eyes begin to recognize that I am Mommy and Dustin is Daddy. I wanted that more than I was willing to

The In Between

In that cave, That dark and cavernous empty space, A small light flickers A warm glow piercing the cold shadows. A little girl is crying, Sitting on a rock and crying That little girl is me. The sorrow wraps around her Swallows the air around her I'm afraid it will never leave. In that dark cave, That lonely, damp cave My Jesus sits beside me. He's sitting in the darkness with me And the darkness is not scary for him He's not afraid of the dark like I am. I was talking to a friend who has recently lost a loved one and I got this picture of  a little girl sitting in a lonely, dark cave. I could almost feel the dampness seeping through the stone that she was sitting on. The darkness was heavy, a weight I could physically feel. But as I looked through the telescopic lens of my removed perspective to the girl sitting on the stone and weeping, I could see Jesus sitting next to her. He was holding her as she cried and there was a warmth emanating from