Skip to main content

To Be Surprised










Anyone who has lost,
knows the trepidatious prayer.
The one barely spoken,
Whispered in the dark
surrounded by fear
and doubt
and the fragrance of despair.

I walked foward, one foot in front of the other,
wincing from the pain of my poorly thought out shoe choice,
my fingers lightly pinching the underside of my father's be-suited arm.

"When I wrap my arms around you
Every mistake we made crumbles
When I wrap my arms around you
Everything echoes a new song."
- Sondre Lerche 'To Be Surprised'

It's the song playing through my tunnel vision.
I'm so very focused.
And so very happy.
You're looking at me and your face is twitching with a million unshed tears.
I can't stop smiling.
My feet are really killing me now.
I let go of my father's arm and take your hands instead.
I want to swallow your eyes with mine so you can see my heart.
Because it all makes sense now.
Each tear I had cried in loneliness has culminated in this beautiful moment where I see that God has heard my prayers.
He gave me you.

Can he not do it again?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

Philippians 4:6-7




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whence Comes Spring

No. It's not spring, we are still in the midst of summer and what a summer it has be en. The weather has actually continued to be sunny and mild (thank you Lord!) and trips to the pool have been at a maximum. I've gained new freckles along with new perspective and my world seems the brighter for it. Each day brings a unique experience, I know I'm not alone in this revelation, it's called "life". There is a beauty to experiencing hardship and loss in that your own personal world slows down to a snails pace and your eyes are open to the simple things that make up everyday. I am reminded to slow down and breathe, to lay back and let my Father do the work of orchestrating my life. I can't see my future, but He has each step laid out before me, and He has done this because He loves me. "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will

Today

Today I took on the task of cleaning what was supposed to be my Edy's room. But my Edy isn't here to fill up this room with her presence. This is a little more heart breaking than I thought it would be. That's the not so funny thing about grief. It's sneaky and it lies in wait like the proverbial prankster ready to leap from behind a hidden corner and shout, "Boo!" giving me, the griever, a bit of a shock. I sat in a chair and looked at this room and remembered how much Dustin hated painting it. That's how much he loves me and how much he loves his daughter. He was willing to paint this room whatever color I wanted so Edy could have a beautiful room to grow in. There are alot of dreams that I am sorrowing the loss of. Dreams where I would get to hold my little girl, feed her, cuddle her, get exhausted by her, watch her smile for the first time, watch her eyes begin to recognize that I am Mommy and Dustin is Daddy. I wanted that more than I was willing to

The In Between

In that cave, That dark and cavernous empty space, A small light flickers A warm glow piercing the cold shadows. A little girl is crying, Sitting on a rock and crying That little girl is me. The sorrow wraps around her Swallows the air around her I'm afraid it will never leave. In that dark cave, That lonely, damp cave My Jesus sits beside me. He's sitting in the darkness with me And the darkness is not scary for him He's not afraid of the dark like I am. I was talking to a friend who has recently lost a loved one and I got this picture of  a little girl sitting in a lonely, dark cave. I could almost feel the dampness seeping through the stone that she was sitting on. The darkness was heavy, a weight I could physically feel. But as I looked through the telescopic lens of my removed perspective to the girl sitting on the stone and weeping, I could see Jesus sitting next to her. He was holding her as she cried and there was a warmth emanating from