Skip to main content

At Joy's Table



"Teach us to number our days aright
that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
Psalm 90:12


Maybe it's because I'm getting older, or maybe it's because I've finally slowed down enough to let my thoughts ruminate and travel the more cognizant recesses of my mind. Whichever the case, I've been thinking alot about this passage of scripture. I memorized this verse out of Psalms when I was about 11 and just loved the poetry of the words. It sounded like it meant something deep and impactful, though my 11 year old brain didn't really understand what about the words was so meaningful. 

This summer my husband and I got to go visit my grandma Joy in the wonderfully hot town of Mesa, AZ. Did I mention it was hot? My parents had rented a house with air conditioning and a pool and ceiling fans in every room. A definite oasis from the heat of June in Arizona. We stayed for a week and every morning of that week my parents would go pick my grandma up from the nursing home (or as she calls it, the Looney Bin), along with my great aunt Wilma and then we would spend the day eating and talking at the house in the cool, air conditioned living room. It had been my plan to ask questions and record memories. My grandma is a living, breathing history book and I wanted to be sure to soak up as much of her as I could. She has memories that no one else does. Dustin and I recorded hours of conversation and I have slowly been going over the recordings, bit by bit. I remembered one such recording of my grandma and my great aunt talking about World War II, just bits and pieces of their memories of what it was like to hear the news of war going on around them, to have rationed gas and meat, to have military training in their backyards and in my grandma's case, to have mock training battles played out on her family's farm. She was 11-16 while the war was going on and my great aunt was 18-23. Below is an excerpt of some of my grandma's memories:

"Well, I think of World War II and I think of the couples clinging to each other to say goodbye, and the men getting on the trains to leave their loved ones, trying to be brave to say goodbye. And that left such a heavy impression on me. Seeing all the sadness and the loneliness and the fright and just about every window [of her neighbor's houses] would end up with a ribbon indicating that someone was dead in the service."


While I sat listening to this, I thought of current events in our world. Of wars going on all around us. Some countries, so battle torn that death is a familiar and old friend. "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." The humility in knowing that our days are not our own. I imagine those couples at the train station, preparing to say goodbye, knowing they may never see each other again...., and I am humbled. There are those days that I take for granted..., that I will wake up to see my husband lying next to me and I can most definitely expect him to be home from work at 5:30pm. That we will get to do something fun on a Saturday or we can enjoy a leisurely evening on the deck, enjoying an ice cold beer and the warm sun as it gracefully exits the stage for the moon to share her presence with the world. I remember that wisdom is knowing that this life is fleeting and these blessings are more beautiful than I can fathom on this earth. It's recognizing God's grace in the moment as an ever present constant, like gravity and time. 

It's knowing that I don't deserve these blessings.
I didn't earn them.
But I am freely given leave to embrace them and enjoy them, making my joy that much more complete. 
Sometimes we get to sit at the table with Sorrow and eat her meal and share her wine, but we are also allowed to feast with Joy and revel in her laughter and embrace her wisdom.

"His favour would be a full fountain of future joys. It would be a sufficient balance to former griefs."

- Matthew Henry Concise Commentary




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whence Comes Spring

No. It's not spring, we are still in the midst of summer and what a summer it has be en. The weather has actually continued to be sunny and mild (thank you Lord!) and trips to the pool have been at a maximum. I've gained new freckles along with new perspective and my world seems the brighter for it. Each day brings a unique experience, I know I'm not alone in this revelation, it's called "life". There is a beauty to experiencing hardship and loss in that your own personal world slows down to a snails pace and your eyes are open to the simple things that make up everyday. I am reminded to slow down and breathe, to lay back and let my Father do the work of orchestrating my life. I can't see my future, but He has each step laid out before me, and He has done this because He loves me. "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will

Today

Today I took on the task of cleaning what was supposed to be my Edy's room. But my Edy isn't here to fill up this room with her presence. This is a little more heart breaking than I thought it would be. That's the not so funny thing about grief. It's sneaky and it lies in wait like the proverbial prankster ready to leap from behind a hidden corner and shout, "Boo!" giving me, the griever, a bit of a shock. I sat in a chair and looked at this room and remembered how much Dustin hated painting it. That's how much he loves me and how much he loves his daughter. He was willing to paint this room whatever color I wanted so Edy could have a beautiful room to grow in. There are alot of dreams that I am sorrowing the loss of. Dreams where I would get to hold my little girl, feed her, cuddle her, get exhausted by her, watch her smile for the first time, watch her eyes begin to recognize that I am Mommy and Dustin is Daddy. I wanted that more than I was willing to

The In Between

In that cave, That dark and cavernous empty space, A small light flickers A warm glow piercing the cold shadows. A little girl is crying, Sitting on a rock and crying That little girl is me. The sorrow wraps around her Swallows the air around her I'm afraid it will never leave. In that dark cave, That lonely, damp cave My Jesus sits beside me. He's sitting in the darkness with me And the darkness is not scary for him He's not afraid of the dark like I am. I was talking to a friend who has recently lost a loved one and I got this picture of  a little girl sitting in a lonely, dark cave. I could almost feel the dampness seeping through the stone that she was sitting on. The darkness was heavy, a weight I could physically feel. But as I looked through the telescopic lens of my removed perspective to the girl sitting on the stone and weeping, I could see Jesus sitting next to her. He was holding her as she cried and there was a warmth emanating from